Sunday, July 12, 2009

Don't Tease Me!

I'm reading a very wordy book right now. It has a compelling message that needs to be expressed and received, but the author is extremely wordy. This particular 300-page book could more effectively be presented in 200 pages. That's not really what bothers me about the book, though. What annoys me is the tease.

At least once per chapter, the author says something to this effect, "I'll cover that topic in a later chapter." Grrr! I can't stand when writers make those statements. It's as if they're afraid the reader is going to put the book down and not pick it back up unless he's informed of what's coming next. Well, that's what the table of contents and back cover summaries are for. They let readers know everything that's discussed between the book's covers.

Don't tell me what's coming next! Write your material well, and it will naturally transition into what's coming next. Trust me, your reader, to keep reading. I will receive your message.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Preach it, sister! I liked this post. But I know what you mean about blogging in general. I've been such a slacker over on HSB. And on blogspot, as well. :-)
I'm going to sign this post as from Book Bait.

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by!

This sums it up ;)

This sums it up ;)